How to make a Batman Cake
This is a simple batman cake that was made for one of us a long time ago when turning four years old. At the time Batman was the favorite among other idled characters. This cake is store bought, however, since batman is still a crowd pleaser and we here at MegzCakes are still fans of Batman, we have provided some instruction for how to make a similar Batman cake of your own occasion. Even if you have very little to no experience baking or decorating cakes you can make this one right at home!
- Using white buttercream icing, spread on a crumb coat to the top and sides of the cake with a spatula. A crumb coat is a thin layer of icing that holds in the crumbs so your outer layer of icing is smooth without crumbs.
- Chill your cake to harden the crumb coat of icing.
- Add another thin layer of icing either as smooth as you can or make it swirly. To help make your icing smooth, return cake to the refrigerator and once hardened, take a piece of waxed paper or no-detail paper towel and place it on the icing and gently rub smooth with your fingers trying not to move the paper. Do this all over the cake. **Another idea for the sides if you don't like smooth or swirly, take a long jagged knife or a fork and lightly scrape the sides to imprint the lined pattern.**
- To add your Batman logo or picture, select the picture you like, print and cut it out. Place the picture where you want it on the cake and using a toothpick or numerous toothpicks put holes on the edges so you can connect the dots with your icing. You could always try free-handing it too!!
- Use the correct coloured icing by adding gel-paste food colouring to get your desired shade of colour without changing the consistency of the icing. You can also use the gel icing bought from your local grocery or craft/baking store. See our colour tips for more icing colour tips and ideas
- For your border, use a star tip and a parchment bag full of icing. See Piping Tips for ideas on tips to use and the different ways you can use them. If you don't have this on hand, take a sandwich bag and cut a small hole in one corner. Fill this bag with icing and pipe on a beaded/string like border.
Below is a picture of the batman logo that you can print out to outline on your cake.