Looking for a certain cake recipe or to try something new? Either way MegzCakes has what you're looking for. Check out what we have to offer, leave comments about our recipes and send us your own recipes that you would like to share with other viewers. We would love to give you credit for sharing your sweet secret recipe!
Baking 101 - A Well Baked Cake
Sometimes a cake will bake perfectly with little effort, however, sometimes a cake will go horrible wrong with little warning. Here are a few common elements that will effect how well a cake will bake
Ingredients are out dated or expired.
That baking soda box can sit in the cupboard a long time if it's not need regularly. When ingriedents are expired they may not make us ill like expired meat, but they don't always work the same either. Check the expiry dates.
Oven distributes heat evenly and is pre-heated to the correct temperature. A cake that is not cooked on one side and burnt on the other is not exactly what we are looking for in a well baked cake.
Follow the directions!
Mixing ingredients in the proper order and time is essential to how a cake will bake. Sometimes but mixing the butter or flour in the batter at the wrong time can drastically alter the cake batter resulting in a poorly baked cake.
Missing an Ingredient?
Check out our Ingredient Substitutions list for all kinds of helpful tips for just this situation. Trust us we have been missing an item or two on serveral occasions.
MegzCakes Baking 101 Tip
Allow your eggs to come to room temperature prior to using the eggs. We are not exactly sure why this makes such an impact, and we are also well aware that a cake recipe can be very successful with cold eggs right out of the fridge. If your having trouble give this a try!
MegzCakes Cake and Cupcake Recipes
Looking to make your own cake?? We have a wide variety of cake recipes. For a simple recipe check out Easy Cake Recipe. We have recipes of all your favorite cakes from the Best Chocolate Cake Reciepe to Carrot cake and Homemade Red Velvet. Take a look at the list below for many more recipes avaliable.
Classic Cake Recipes
- White Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Yellow Cake Recipe
- Homemade Red Velvet Cake
- Pound Cake Recipe
- Angel Food Cake Recipe
- Carrot Cake Recipe
- Blackforest Cake Recipe
- Devil's Food Cake Recipe
Easy Cake Recipes
Best Cake Recipes
- Best Chocolate Cake Reciepe
- Best White Cake Recipe
- Best Marble Cake Recipe
- Best Carrot Cake Recipe
- Best Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Cake Mix Recipes
- Banana Cake Mix Recipe
- Maple Pecan Cake Mix Recipe
- Honey Walnut Pound Cake Mix Recipe
- Mexican Chocolate Cake Mix Recipe
- Black Forest Cake Mix Recipe
- Banana Bread Recipe
- Banana Cake Recipe
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
- Lemon Sour Cream Cake Recipe
- Sour cream coffee cake Recipe
- Cinnamon Cake
Did you know you can use any cake recipe to make cupcakes! We have used the red velvet recipe listed, marble cake recipe, white cake recipe, yellow cake, strawberry, chocolate cake recipe, we could go on but we are sure you get the point. Cupcakes do not require a different recipe, simply switch up the pans and you will have cupcakes.
Missing an Ingredient? Check out our Ingredient Substitutions list for all kinds of helpful tips for just this situation. Trust us we have been missing an item or two on serveral occasions.
Tools for Baking:
Before preparing any recipe, you need specific tools to make your sweet creations. Make sure to have:
- Mixing bowls in variety of sizes.
- Electric mixer for blending ingredients. Tabletop mixer is easier to use when a recipe calls for long periods of mixing time.
- Measuring cups are essential because a recipe can be completely altered if not measured precisely.
- Measuring spoons for tablespoon and teaspoon measurements.
- Spatula for easy scraping of batter.
- Cake pans, size varies upon recipes.
- Cooling rack which will allow air to circulate freely so cake will cool quickly and evenly.
- Toothpicks to test if cakes are ready to come out of the oven.
If you have these baking tools, you're ready to go! Happy Baking!