Chocolate Cake Recipe
Chocolate cake can be made for any occasion such as birthdays, anniversaries or holidays and is complimented well with a chocolate buttercream frosting. This well loved cake recipe is great for cutting out shapes or simply served with a cold glass of milk. Chocolate cake is also an excellent cake to cover with fondant icing. We have several different fondant recipes to pick from, see our Icing Recipes Section for more details.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- Grease 13x9inch rectangular pan or 2 8inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix on medium-high speed until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for about 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before icing, about 1 hour.
If you don't have Hershey's cocoa on hand, any type of baking cocoa, as it will do the trick for this recipe. Baking cocoa can be found in just about any grocery store. You can even use this product to make delicious brownies.