Homemade Red Velvet Cake Recipe
This dramatic looking cake is actually very similar to a devils food cake with red food colouring and a lot less cocoa. Only a hint of cocoa is used to offset the food colouring and the buttermilk gives this cake a moist texture. Red Velvet is best suited with a smooth cream cheese icing and known for use in holiday cakes such as Christmas and Valentine's Day.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease 13x9inch rectangular pan or 2 8inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa until well blended.
- In another large bowl, mix together olive oil, buttermilk, eggs, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla.
- Slowly combine flour mixture into the egg mixture just until blended and smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before icing, about 1 hour.
If you don't have Olive oil on hand, a great substitution is vegetable oil.