White Cake Recipe
White Cake is a very light, fluffy cake that anyone will love by using egg whites instead of whole eggs. This cake flavour is a popular choice for any occasion such as birthdays, showers or weddings. Buttercream icing is best suited for this type of cake, especially for decorating. To add more flavour, try using lemon zest or orange zest in your icing recipe.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 13x9inch rectangular pan or 2 8inch round pans.
- Combine all ingredients except egg whites. Mix on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Mix in egg whites on high for another 2 minutes and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake rectangle for about 40-45 minutes and bake rounds for about 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before icing, about 1 hour.
If you don't have an egg separator, it's very easy to separate the yolk from the white. Over a small container, crack your egg in half so it has even sides and simply tip the yolk back and forth from each side of the shell. After about 4 or 5 times the white should have separated from the yolk and fallen into the container.